The 1949 Frazer Nash Le Mans Replica has an interesting history. Frazer Nash had been offering BMW 328s before the Second World War alongside its regular line up, and once the war was concluded – successfully, for Frazer Nash and not so much for BMW – the British company won the rights to the 328 as part of war reparations. It thus created a new car, based in great part on BMW parts. The result was the fast and agile High Speed model; one if its owners took it to Le Mans in 1949, and score an incredibly impressive third place, which prompted Frazer Nash to rename the model the Le Mans Replica, 34 of which were built before 1952, when the model was retired. The car also came in 1st as the 1951 Targa Florio.
The Le Mans Replica was powered by BMW’s fantastic straight-six, which produced 120 horsepower, thanks to its cross-pushrod head design and triple carburattors. It propelled the car to a top speed of 115 miles per hour, and accelerated to 60 in 8.8 seconds, an incredible achievement in the late 40s. Power was transmitted to the rear wheels through a four-speed manual transmission.
The 1949 Frazer Nash Le Mans Replica was certainly a spectacular car, and while Frazer Nash as a company lingered until 1958, it was for this one car that it is most remembered.