David Brown, tractor magnate, could well be forgiven for the disastrous Aston Martin DB1, which was produced on his watch, because of the superb cars that followed. Starting with the DB2 in 1950, the level of quality, handling and motorization were raised to such a level that none could have claimed that Aston Martin cars were now very much upper crust automobiles. The style and design of the original DB2 set the stage for all following automobiles of the marque, making it a classic; its alloy monocoque bodywork was innovative without being daring, and modern while style eliciting the old-world charm that make British automobiles so desirable and distinctive.
The 1950 Aston Martin DB2 was powered by a smooth straight-six, 2.6-liter engine (borrowed from Lagonda) that developed a comfortable 105 horsepower. The power subsequently went up to 178 horsepower before the model was gracefully retired in 1958. It also benefited from disc/drum brakes on later models, and from a four-speed manual transmission.
The car’s suspension, while not independent all around, was very cleverly designed and allowed for spectacular handling, which contributed greatly to the DB2’s prestige. In terms of performance, the top speed ranged from 100 to 119 mph, depending on the engine, and the quickest 0-60, performed on the MkIII, was 9.3 seconds.