For years, the V8 Pilot was the Ford standard-bearer for large cars, but it was getting old, and the early 50s Ford introduced the 1950 Ford Consul. It incorporated all the newest technical and mechanical developments available, bringing Ford up to date with the competition. The Consul featured independent front suspension, in the form of Macpherson struts, which replaced the uncomfortable front axle, and the brakes were finally fully hydraulic, still drums front and back, of course. The new monocoque build added some much needed stiffness, while contributing to reducing weight, improving performance.
The original 1950 Consul was a pretty under-powered affair, with only a 1.5-liter, 48 horsepower four-cylinder engine, but later models, particularly the Zephyr and Zodiac had much more powerful engines. The top was the Zodiac Mark II, with a straight-six cylinder, 2.5-liters that churned out 87 horsepower.Performance on the faster car was a still-underwhelming 17 seconds to 60 mph, and a top speed of 90 miles per hour.
Despite its decidedly lackluster performance, the 1950 Ford Consul and its successors were very popular, and remain on of the most popular cars of the era.