Like so many thoroughbred Italian cars built in the last 60 or so years, the 1951 Lancia Aurelia B24 Spider was styled by Pininfarina. This glamorous little car had a wrap-around windshield, corner bumpers and cut-away doors. Its gorgeous design appealed greatly to the American market, where many B24’s ended up, although its demands for a more substantial, less leaky roof and wind-up windows eventually led to this Lancia‘s demise in 1956. Mechanically speaking, the B24 Spider was very advanced, with a DeDion rear suspension and oversized drum brakes; in fact, it was more advanced than contemporary Ferraris, where were crude machines in comparison.
In terms of engines, the Aurelia B24 Spider was certainly no slouch; it was equipped with a 2.45-liter V6, which produced 120 horsepower, which drove the rear wheels through a four-speed manual transmission. It was enough for a 112 miles per hour top speed, and a 12 second 0-60 which in 1951 was quite spectacular.
Thanks to its rigid monocoque construction and independent suspension, it also had impeccable road manners; the 1951 Lancia Aurelia B24 Spider was truly an exceptional car.