David Brown, the gearbox tycoon and already the owner of Aston Martin, purchased the ailing manufacturer Lagonda in 1947. The Lagonda 2.6 was one of the first luxury British cars built after World War II, but many believed it deserved a little more punch, so the Lagonda 3.0 was introduced in 1953. Of course, the 3.0 was not only about giving the 2.6 more power; it certainly did that, but not in amounts that would have made a difference. The styling was also modified and actualized, and the ownership by the Duke of Edinburgh of a Tickford Drophead version of the Lagonda 3.0 certaily helped. The problem, as with most Lagonda cars, was the price, which was prohibitive for the car.
One of the primary charges leveled at the Lagonda 3.0 is that despite its bigger and “more powerful” engine, it was still pretty slow. It was powered by a 3-liter straight-six engine that developed 140 horsepower. It was good for a top speed of 100 miles per hour, and a 0-60 time of 12 seconds, neither of which are terrible, but considering the price tag, buyers wanted more.
The 1953 Lagonda 3.0 remained in production until 1958, when the Lagonda name was dropped altogether. It would make brief return a few years later with the Rapide.